Mold and mildew can only grow in a moist environment, which means often mold grows near or under leaking plumbing or appliances. Taking proper care of your plumbing system is the best way to prevent mold and mildew from forming in your home, as well as following these simple steps to reduce moisture in your home.
Prevent Flooding with a Sump Pump
Moisture caused by basement flooding is a common trigger for mold and mildew. To prevent this, as well as other flooding-related damage, make sure that you have a clean perimeter drainage system as well as properly functioning sump pumps that divert water away from your home’s foundation.
Call a plumber: 604-332-1523
Reduce Moisture in the Bathroom
Obviously the bathroom is a part of the house where you can’t avoid a lot of moisture, but you can do a few things to reduce the amount of moisture sitting and creating an ideal environment for mildew and mold. Make sure that you turn on your fan anytime you shower or take a bath, replace towels when they get very wet and wipe up excess water that may find its way to the floor or counter surface. Install moisture sensing fan switches to automatically turn on when moisture detected is in the room.
Condensation caused by moisture creates an environment conducive to the growth of mold and mildew. Proper ventilation and air flow in your home helps to prevent condensation from forming. Open up windows and doors when possible to get fresh air circulating through the house and prevent condensation from building up.
Fix Leaks Immediately
Even a very minor leak in a pipe can cause major water damage and create a breeding ground for mold and mildew. As soon as you notice a leak, no matter how small, have it repaired. It can be tempting to ignore small leaks, but if you do you will have a much bigger problem to deal with later. Automatic water shut off valves can detect leaks as small as 1 drop per minute and save you a bundle in repairs. Contact us to discuss your options!
Mold, Mildew, and Health Risks
Mold and mildew are both fungi that grow in damp, warm environments but you can usually tell them apart by colour and texture. Mildew is typically grey, white or yellow with a powdery or fluffy texture, while mold is usually green or black and has a slimy or fuzzy texture. Mildew typically does not permanently damage the surface it grows on and while the spores can cause some health issues for those exposed to them. Mold’s health risks are far more severe, including respiratory issues, migraines, joint pain, fever, and potentially life-threatening lung infections. It is important to do what you can to prevent the growth of mold and mildew in your home by reducing moisture and keeping your plumbing properly maintained.